Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Burda 5/2014 #104

About a month ago, I  found the May issue of Burda. I bought it from the guy that sells magazines opposite The Stanely hotel. I have bought magazines from him in the past but he has never had Burda, It's very hard to find sewing patterns in Nairobi so I was very happy with my find.
Image source
 I fell in love with this dress especially the sleeves and set about to trace and sew myself some thing to wear. I made a muslin since this is my first time sewing sewing from Burda. My measurements are  is 37-33-40  and this puts me in burda size 42.
.
gaping neck, bust points too high.

Being a test garment I made it from a cotton bedsheet and sewed only the bodice since that where I have most fitting issues. I did not bother with facings or lining. I finished all edges with bias tape.
I made several mistakes with this top and I will make changes accordingly  in my final garment.
Waist is too tight.
  • I did not staystitch the neckline. Being a V neck, the edges are on the bias and this is gaping like crazy!! To make it worse I stretched the neckline when sewing the bias edging and made it worse. Point to note: STAY-STICH.
  • Burda size 42 is a waist of 30 so this top is  a bit tight on the waist, I will go up a size in my final garment.
  • I put in a side zipper rather than a back zipper and did not match up the side seams well.
    Mismatched zipper.
  • Stiff cotton is not the right fabric for this pattern but since I was testing out the pattern,  I did not want to waste good fabric.
  • Bust points are too high. 
I will eliminate the center front seam from my final version 
At least this was made from a 100 bob bedsheet so no loss plus I enjoyed sewing it so I guess its ok
I have worn this top in its messy state though and had no-one call me out for the faults, infact I have had two co-workers ask me where I bought it.
I am still feeling this pattern and I hope to make it up in the right fabric and the right size.
Check out Pinterest for various projects that have made from this issue.
Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment